The Langhe to discover the Truffle and Barolo
The Langhe are a geographical territory or sub-area of lower Piemonte, located between the provinces of Cuneo and Asti, consisting of an extensive hilly system.
Pearl of Piemonte and home of wine and truffles: among hills covered with vineyards and small medieval villages, without forgetting historic cellars, wine bars and museums. The pride of the Piemontese province of Cuneo, the Langhe are located at the foot of the Ligurian Alps and extend to the border with Roero, Asti and Monferrato. Hills combed by vineyards that constantly change color, shape and harmony depending on the period, preserve authentic excellence: from wine to truffles without neglecting hazelnuts and numerous typical dishes of the Piemontese tradition such as tajarin, ravioli del plin and much more. Alba is the capital of the Langhe and was recognized in 2017 by UNESCO as a Creative City for Gastronomy but there are numerous villages to remember such as Barolo, Serralunga d’Alba, Barbaresco, Monforte d’Alba.
Capital of the Langhe, it rises on the right bank of the Tanaro river. Originally it was an important Roman settlement, "Alba Pompeia". Between the 1300s and the 1400s numerous towers were built along the entire perimeter of the city and was given the name of "City of a Hundred Towers" which today, albeit in smaller numbers, still characterize its medieval profile. In the Second World War, during the period of the Resistance, it became the fulcrum of the main clashes between the partisans and Nazi occupiers, as the famous writer Beppe Fenoglio recounts in The 23 days of the city of Alba.
Alba annually hosts two very important events, one gastronomic and one folkloristic: the White Truffle Fair and the Palio degli Asini or Giostra delle Cento Torri. The White Truffle Fair takes place every year in October and has taken on more and more charm, becoming national in scope. During the event the best truffle is donated to the famous person hosted. The Palio is a fun competitive donkey race that takes place every year on the first Sunday of October accompanied by a traditional parade with period clothes.
It is a medieval village located just east of Alba, just above the Tanaro river. In the highest part of the town, with its 36 meters high, the famous tower stands out, which also has the distinction of being the highest in the whole of Piedmont. From the tower you can admire a majestic panorama, which on clear days embraces the entire Alpine arc from Monte Rosa to Monviso. The red wine of the same name originates from this area of the Langhe and is also one of the best known in the world.
Perhaps by far one of the most characteristic villages of the lower Langa. The true history of this city begins in 1250 when the Fallettis, rich bankers, bought the entire area from the Municipality of Alba, which then became a Marquisate in 1730. Perfect land for the cultivation of the "Nebbiolo" vine from which, after a long period of refining in barrique, Barolo is obtained.
The following municipalities also belong to the area called "Langa del Barolo": Castiglione Falletto, Diano d’Alba, La Morra, Monforte d’Alba, Novello and Serralunga d’Alba.
The history of this village owes everything to Camillo Benso Conte di Cavour who was mayor of the town from 1832 to 1848. The entire history of the wines of this land is linked to the Count, who thanks to his passion for agriculture managed to solve the diseases that had affected the surrounding vineyards. The castle is the symbol of the area and houses the ethnographic museum, the regional wine shop and the site of the world auction of the white truffle.The castle of Grinzane Cavour was also home to the award ceremony of the eponymous literary competition which from 1982 to 2009 awarded authors of Italian and foreign fiction.
Medieval village still in perfect condition, it is characterized by its own castle, one of the most beautiful and scenic in the entire Langhe area, so much so that it has been defined as an Italian unicum for its style.